Want to please picky eaters, get your kids eating healthy, and start enjoying family dinners again? Try our delicious, kid-friendly recipes.These meals are nutritious, but your son or daughter will be too busy asking for more to complain about the veggies. These meals are also easy enough for them to pitch in and help.
Take all the time you need to plan your meals, play around with the ingredients and do a little bit of research. We can say for a fact that your meals will become much more delicious and your family much happier.
The Best Kid-Friendly Recipes Out There
We were careful to include a whole variety of recipes, including vegetarian dishes like mac and cheese, slow-cooked dishes, fast dishes and many, many others.
1. Quick Chicken and Dumplings
A swift and delicious dish which you can use to woo your child. It’s easy to make, and it requires ingredients found in your kitchen’s pantry. Don’t try to do anything refined, just follow the recipe. Your kids are going to adore this simple dish, which can be served both as an entrée or main course.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- One tablespoon of butter. (Use a low-fat butter instead of the regular one).
- Half a cup of onion (use any kinds of onions: red onion, white onion, and even shallots).
- Two cups of chopped chicken breast (remove the skin and the bones in advance).
- One box of frozen veggies (it would be a good idea to use fresh, pre-boiled vegetables)
- One tablespoon of white flour.
- One and a half cups of plain water.
- One can of chicken stock.
- A dash of salt and pepper.
- One bay leaf;
- One tablespoon of freshly chopped parsley
- Eight tortillas (cut them into half an inch strips).
How to prepare the dish:
Put on the over a large saucepan and toss in the butter. Melt it over medium heat. After that, toss in the chopped onion and cook it until it becomes glassy. Add the chicken and the veggies. Let the mixture simmer for about 3-4 minutes. Don’t forget to stir.
Leave the chicken breast to cook and take care of the broth. Add the flour to water. Then gently begin to pour the broth over the mixture. Stir constantly. Toss the mixture in the pan and continue to stir. Add pepper, salt, and the bay leaf. Sit back and let it come to a boil.
After the mixture boils, turn down the heat and let the mixture simmer for three more minutes. Add the tortilla strip, stir and leave the mixture over the heat for two more minutes or until the tortilla strips are tender.
Remove the pot from the heat, add parsley and stir. Before serving, don’t forget to remove the bay leaf.
2. Daring Crockpot-cooked Orange Chicken
Slow-cooked meals are great: they’re delicious and pretty much easy to make. Here’s another recipe inspired by Asian cuisine, which you’re kids are going to like it. Here’s what’s you’ll need to fix this kid-friendly recipe:
- One-and-a-third cup of Barbeque sauce;
- One-and-a-third cup of marmalade;
- One tablespoon of ginger;
- One tablespoon or garlic;
- Some red pepper flakes;
- One tablespoon of soy sauce;
- Chicken breast.
Here’s how to prepare it:
- Coat the chicken breast in the cornstarch and fry it in a tablespoon of oil.
- Put the cuts in a slow cooker.
- Make a sauce using a saucepan and the ingredients. Simmer it for 5 minutes then add it to the chicken cuts.
- Cook for 3-4 hours.
3. Southern Mac and Cheese, a la Martha Stuart
Mac and cheese may seem boring, but here’s how you can rekindle your family’s love for this classic, mouth-watering dish. It’s easy to make, and the kids will just adore it, which makes it an ideal kid-friendly recipe.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Coarse salt and pepper;
- Two Tb. of butter;
- Half a pound of elbow macaroni;
- Two cups of shredded cheese (cheddar);
- Two eggs;
- One cup of half-and-half (mixture of half milk, half cream);
- One garlic clove;
- 2 Slices of bread.
How to prepare the dish:
Take a large pot of water, set it on the over, and let it come to boil. During this times, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Use one tablespoon of butter on four ramekins.
Next, cook the pasta for 3 minutes, take them off the fire and drain the pot. Now to prepare the mixture: take a large, clean bowl, and, using a whisk, combine one and a half cups of cheddar cheese and the eggs with salt, pepper, garlic, and the half-and-half.
Add the pasta and divide the mixture among the ramekins. And now for the top part of the casserole: using a food processor, add bread and melted butter. Pulse the machine a few times until you see coarse crumbs. Add some salt and pepper.
Top the body of the pasta with the rest of the cheddar cheese and toss in some breadcrumbs. Place the ramekins on another tray covered with a baking sheet and pop it in the oven. Also, put the mac and cheese mixture in the oven, and let it cook for 25 minutes.
4. Lentil Mushroom Hamburger
Kids just love hamburgers but frown when they see veggies like mushrooms and lentils. Here’s a good way to bring all these ingredients together to create a truly balanced dish. Your kids will absolutely enjoy the recipe, and they won’t suspect that it is meatless.
- Half a cup of pecan nuts;
- One can of lentils (wash, drain and rinse them before usage);
- One tablespoon of vegetable oil;
- Three cups of mushrooms (finely chopped)
- One onion;
- Two cloves of garlic;
- One tablespoon of chili powder
- Half a tablespoon of cumin;
- Half a tablespoon of oregano;
- Quarter of a cup of breadcrumbs
- Quarter of a cup of salsa;
- Hamburger buns
Toast the pecans for about 5 minutes. Prepare the food processor. Add the toasted nuts and the lentils. Give it a couple of pulses and set it aside.
In the same pan where you toasted the nuts, heat the veggie oil over medium heat. Add the mushroom, garlic, onion, pepper, salt, cumin, oregano, chili powder, and fry for 10 minutes tops. Transfer the mixture to the food processor and add salsa. Give it a couple of whirls.
Take the dough from the food processor and form 2 cm thick patties. Use a grill and medium heat to fry the patties. Cook them for 10 minutes, turning the patties over after 5 minutes.
5. Finger-licking Cheesy Enchiladas
They may not be anywhere near as decadent as spaghetti and meatballs, but this recipe is a heart-breaker when it comes to kids. Here’s how to prepare your very own cheesy chicken enchilada.
Here’s the list of ingredients:
- Two cups of minced and cooked chicken;
- One-quarter cup of thinly chopped onion;
- Four cups of cheddar cheese (use a fine shredder)
- One cup of sour cream;
- Eight tortillas
- One and a half cups of tomatoes (chopped);
- Half a cup of green lightly salted olives.
Crank up the oven to 175 degrees Celsius and grease a medium baking dish. Use a big bowl to mix one cup of cheese, three-fourths of sour cream, the chicken, and the onion. Spread the mixture on the tortillas. Roll them into enchiladas and arrange them on the baking tray
Get a saucepan, put it over low heat and melt the cheese and sour cream. Pour the content of the pan over the enchiladas and finish off the dish with tomatoes and olives.
Pop the tray into the oven, and cook it for 20 to 30 minutes.
Here are some easy recipes to make for you and your family. Following these kids friendly recipes, anyone can create amazing and delicious dishes. For more fun in the kitchen, ask your children to help you prepare their meals.